You are here

All Kids Program for Pregnant Women FAQs



Medicaid Presumptive Eligibility (MPE)

What is an MPE?

MPE is a program for pregnant women (who meet income requirements) that offers immediate, temporary coverage for outpatient health services.

How do I get MPE?

To get MPE, your provider must verify that you are pregnant. After you’re done seeing your provider, you will meet with a Registration Representative or Outreach and Enrollment Specialist and they will assist you by helping you submit your MPE application.

• You do not have to be a citizen or a legal immigrant to get MPE.

• You do not have to have a Social Security number to get MPE.

How long does it take to get MPE?

If all MPE requirements are met, you can get services right away. That means you can get services the same day you sign the application if you are eligible.

What services does MPE cover?

You can get outpatient services like prenatal checkups, doctor visits, lab tests, prenatal vitamins, medicine, specialty medical care, eye care, dental care, emergency room care, mental health and substance abuse services, and other services. You cannot get hospital services, like labor and delivery, from the MPE program. To get hospital services, you must apply for Moms & Babies.


Moms & Babies

What is Moms & Babies?

Moms & Babies is a program for pregnant women and their babies. Moms & Babies pays for both outpatient and inpatient hospital services for women while they are pregnant, and for 60 days after the baby is born. It also pays for services to babies for the first year of the baby's life, if the mother is covered by Moms & Babies when the baby is born.

If you already have MPE, it is important to apply for Moms & Babies, too. MPE is temporary and pays for only outpatient services. With Moms & Babies, all healthcare services will be covered while you are pregnant.

How do I get Moms & Babies?

You must come back to LCHC and meet with a Registration Representative or Outreach and Enrollment Specialist. In order to complete your application for a permanent card you must return to this office with the following documents.

•             Proof of identity (driver’s license or photo ID)

•             Proof of citizenship (birth certificate, adoption decree, military record, passport, alien registration number, etc.)*

•             Proof of income (for last 30 days)

•             Proof of pregnancy (if not provided previously)

•             Proof of medical support or health insurance

•             Any medical bills incurred during this pregnancy

*Non-citizens who are pregnant are not required to provide proof of immigration status for themselves.


NOTE: If you want other services, like cash assistance or food stamps, you must go to your local DHS office to complete an application for those services. Additionally, if you or your child have an open case, you will be referred to your local public aid office for permanent insurance coverage.